Monday, December 28, 2015

Mining rap.

     As I've said before, I find myself having to dig deeper and deeper past the mainstream to find anything good in the world of music over the past decade and a half. This includes rap.
     I liked watching Chappelle's Show when it was on. Yes, there were a lot of silly sketches, but one thing I loved about it was his musical guests. He always brought on rappers who were really good alternatives to the auto-tuned, catchphrase-spewing mainstream.
     Lately, thanks to Chappelle, I've been looking around for various artists who shred with the mic. Also, I've had a lot of help with an article about the vocabulary of modern artists. So, I started with Aesop Rock, Killer Mike, Talib Kweli, and Common.
     I'm really happy that there are people out there who don't want to listen to what sounds like drowning robots. It's one thing to use electronics for artistic effect (like when aggrotech artists often do it), but when they try to pass it off as their own voice, it's bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment