Monday, March 11, 2013

"The Veil of Queen Mab" by Hexperos

     This album was the first Hexperos album I heard about. I hope any readers enjoy it as much as I do.

     The first three songs seem to come in a set, the first and third sort of frame the second, the titular "Veil of Queen Mab."
     "The Fairy Appears" is the first of this opening triad - a short, dreamy introduction that opens the album, with strings and angelic choruses. It serves as the prologue of the next track, "The Veil" itself.
     This somewhat dirge-like song, named after the dream-fairy mentioned in Romeo and Juliet, is sweeping, and builds to a beautiful gothic crescendo. I imagine listening to this with a window opened on a windy night, with a filmy curtain blowing over the dreamer.
     The theme of dreams is continued in this track, "El Velo Azul" - "The Blue Veil," which would be the epilogue of the previous song.

     "Moon Spell" is aptly named, as flutes, angelic vocals, gebtly strummed strings, and soft drumbeats seemingly descend from the lunar-lit sky. The vocals and drumbeats intensify, and are underscored by the sound of a babbling brook.

     "Summatem Deam" serves as a soft gothic interlude that lulls me every time. I hear it.

     When I first heard about Hexperos, I was shown a link to "Diadem of the Night," and I was enraptured. In the collection of gorgeous tracks, this one stands out. All I can say about it as I'm listening to it right now is "Google it and fall in love."

     There are several more sonic gems in this work of art. Another one of my favorites is "Nocturne," which is a dark lullaby. Like I said about their debut album: get it because I said so.

No comments:

Post a Comment